Organic Chocolate Eagle River AK
Eagle River, AK
Elmendorf Afb, AK
Q Is carob any healthier than chocolate?
A Nope. “It was hot in the seventies and people think it’s healthy, but it’s really just a fad that won’t die,” says Althea Zanecosky, a registered dietitian with the American Dietetic Association. While carob does offer a few advantages over chocolate—it’s caffeine-free and a richer source of potassium and calcium—it seems doomed to go the way of pet rocks and mood rings as science reveals ever more reasons to choose chocolate.
The flavonoids in chocolate, especially dark chocolate, can lessen the risk of heart disease, as can the trace minerals and antioxidants it contains. And the main type of saturated fat in chocolate, stearic acid, has no effect on cholesterol, while the dominant type in carob, lauric acid, can raise it.
While this is great news for closet chocoholics who’ve been trying to placate themselves with carob bars, it’s not quite a license to set up camp inside Willy Wonka’s factory. Since chocolate is fairly high in calories and fat, experts still say we should eat it in moderation—probably no more than an ounce a day, says Zanecosky.
Naturally Clean Carpets
Q What’s the best nontoxic way to clean carpets?
A You’ll need to avoid cleaning solutions that contain strong perfumes that can trigger dizziness, nausea, respiratory problems, and allergic reactions. “Your best bet is to find a cleaning service that uses a high-temperature steaming system, which doesn’t require any detergent at all,” says Annie Berthold-Bond, author of Better Basics for the Home. “Or find a company that uses a perfume-free solution.” (Chem-Dry is one national franchise that will use a fragrance-free solution on request.)
Another option is to rent a do-it-yourself carpet cleaning machine and replace the detergent with a fragrance-free or naturally scented alternative. First, rinse out the tank. Then make a solution of a quarter-cup of a concentrated, nontoxic, all-purpose cleaning solution (Murphy’s Oil Soap works well) and 4 gallons of water. You might also add 4 teaspoons of tea tree oil, which kills dust mites and mold. Then just follow the instructions for using the machine.
Q I know I should take a daily multivitamin/mineral pill, but the ones I’ve tried upset my stomach. What should I do?
A It’s likely that you’re reacting to the B vitamins or zinc in the supplement, particularly if you’re taking it on an empty stomach, says David Grotto, a registered dietitian and director of the Block Center for Integrative Cancer Care in Chicago. Try taking it with food to see if that helps. The iron in a multi can cause nausea and constipation, even when taken with food, so check with your doctor to see if you really need it. If so, pick a formula that contains ferrous gluconate or ferrous fumarate, forms of iron that are more easily tolerated.
And make sure your supplement isn’t overloaded with nutrients. Some include as much as 4,000 to 5,000 percent of the go...
Copyright 1999-2009 Natural Solutions: Vibrant Health, Balanced Living/Alternative Medicine/InnoVisi...
- Pack of six, 6-count box (Total of 36-Count Boxes)
- Chewy granola bar with chocolate chips
- 8 grams whole grain (at least 8 grams of whole grain per serving. At least 48 grams of whole grain recommended daily.)
- No hydrogenated oils; no artificial flavors or preservatives
- USDA certified organic
- Are truly delicious gluten-free bars with a chocolate coating--enjoy the intense taste of chocolate in every bite
- Pack of six 6-count bars (total 36 bars)
- USDA organic certified means that they are grown without synthetic herbicides, pesticides, and nasty chemicals
- Certified gluten-free and wheat-free by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization
- Ships in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging
- All Nature?s Path gluten-free products are also non-GMO verified by the Non GMO project--for gluten-free diets, the additional level of purity assures that the foods are in their truest and purest forms and without any genetic modifications
- Nature?s Path was the first USDA Certified producer of organic breakfast cereal in North America and they are the largest manufacturer of organic cereals to this day
- Set of two boxes, each containing 16 double-chambered teabags (total of 32 teabags)
- Luxurious blend of pu-erh tea, chocolate and spices
- Pu-erh is traditionally used as a slimming tea and to aid digestion
- 100% real, organic, non-GMO verified tea and ingredients
- Pu-erh has more antioxidants that green tea