Veterinary Nutritionist Spartanburg SC
5 Easy Ways to Keep Kitty Healthy
By Nora Simmons
1. Feed your cat about 90 percent meat (including fat), about 10 percent veggies, and very little added carbohydrates. Home-cooked meals are best, but a high-quality natural cat food makes a good runner-up; canned foods usually contain more meat and fewer carbs than dry foods. Serve kitty’s food at room temperature or a little warmer to make it more readily digestible.
2. Supplement her diet with omega-3 fish oil, probiotics, digestive enzymes, and a daily multiple that includes taurine. (Check out “Multiple Choice” at naturalsolutionsmag.com for our favorites.)
3. Throw her a bone. Gnawing on uncooked animal bones helps break down the plaque on your feline friend’s teeth before tartar forms. Just make sure the bones are raw—splinters from cooked bones can tear up the digestive system. Plus, the bits of raw meat on the bone boost your cat’s immune system.
4. Choose natural cat litters—made of wheat, corn, pine, or newspaper pellets—rather than conventional clay litter, which ends up in landfills and can make you and your kitty sick. One of its main components, crystalline silica, a known carcinogen, can cause respiratory problems in humans and perhaps in cats, too.
5. Use an ammonia-free cleaner when taking care of messes since cat urine contains ammonia. Enzymes and oxidizing agents eliminate the odor so Frisky isn’t tempted to repeat the offense. —NS
Author: Nora Simmons
Copyright 1999-2009 Natural Solutions: Vibrant Health, Balanced Living/Alternative Medicine/InnoVisi...
Blessing of the Animals
Dates: 10/6/2013 – 10/6/2013
Historic Court Square Shelby, NCShelby
100 Lafayette St.
Association for the Welfare of Animals will host this annual ceremony where pets (living and deceased) can be recognized with luminaries. Pets with current vaccinations and good social skills are invited to attend the ceremony on Shelby's Historic Court Square with their families. Pastor Roy Byers will bestow individual blessings upon those pets whose owners desire such. Luminaries may be purchased for $5 each by sending check and pet name (please designate "in honor of" or "in memory of") along with family's name to AWA, P.O. Box 564, Shelby, NC 28151. All donations are tax deductible and should be postmarked by September 29.